Orbea is Spain’s largest bicycle manufacturer. It began in 1840 as a rifle and gun producer. The first bikes were made in the 1930s. Sponsor of the Euskaltel-Euskadi cycling team.
French bicycle manufacturer founded by Gaston Lapierre in 1946. Sponsor of the Française des Jeux cycling team.
Look is a manufacturer of bicycle frames, pedal systems and ski equipment, founded in 1951. Their pedal systems are used by 11 teams during the 2011 Tour de France. Look is sponsor of the Cofidis team.
Cicli Pinarello S.p.A. is an Italian bicycle manufacturer since 1952. It supplies mostly hand-made bikes for road racing, track racing and cyclo-cross. Pinarello has sponsored professional teams since 1960. They sponsor two teams in 2011: Movistar, Team Sky.
Colnago is an Italian manufacturer of road-racing bicycles founded in 1954. The company has been sponsoring professional cycling teams since 1968. In 2011 they’re sponsoring the French Europcar cycling team.
Cannondale Bicycle Corporation is an American bicycle manufacturer, founded in 1971. Sponsor of the Liquigas-Cannondale team.
Giant Manufacturing Co. Ltd. (捷安特) is a Taiwanese bicycle manufacturer, established in 1972. Sponsor of the Rabobank cycling team.
Specialized Bicycle Components, more commonly known simply as Specialized, is a major American manufacturer of bicycles. It was founded in 1974. Sponsor of three teams during this year’s Tour the France: HTC-Highroad team, Proteam Astana and Saxo Bank Sungard.
Trek Bicycle Corporation is a major bicycle and cycling product manufacturer from the USA, Founded in 1975.
The company is sponsor of two teams during this year’s Tour the France: Team Leopard Trek and Team Radioshack.
BMC (Bicycle Manufacturing Company)
A Swiss bicycle manufacturing company, founded in 1986. Sponsor of the BMC Racing Team.
TIME Sport International is a French manufacturer of bicycles and cycling equipment, including frames, cycling shoes, clipless pedals, and gloves. Founded in 1987. Sponsor of the Saur-Sojasun Continental team.
Ridley is a Belgian manufacturer of bicycles since 1990. The company is sponsor of the Vacansoleil-DCM Pro Cyling team.
Sponsor of Team Katusha. Focus Bikes is a German bicycle manufacturer that builds racing and mountain bikes. Founded in 1992.
Cervélo Cycles is a Canadian manufacturer of racing bicycle frames, founded in 1995. Since 2011, the company is the sponsor of the Garmin-Cervélo team.
Kuota is an Italian bike manufacturer, established in 2000. They build bicycles for road racing, mountain biking and triathlon.
Sponsor of the Ag2r-La Mondiale cycling team since 2010.
Canyon Bicycles GmbH is a German manufacturer of racing bikes, mountain bikes and triathlon bicycles based in Germany, founded in 2002. The company is sponsor of the Omega Pharma-Lotto team.
Graphic design in the Tour de France: bicycle manufacturer logos
There’s not much space for graphic design on a bicycle frame. Most logos and graphics appear on the two horizontal and diagonal tubes in the center of the frame. The largest logo usually is the wordmark of the manufacturer. That’s possibly the reason why most manufacturer’s logos are wordmarks instead of symbols.
Symbols are often used as so-called head badges, which are affixed to the head tube of a bicycle. Some are simply stickers, decals, or painted logos. Head badges for a single brand may change from year to year or from model to model.
Most frames and bikes from different brands look very similar, that’s why a logo is extremely important. It’s also the reason why there’s so much variation between the logos above.
The Tour de France: 22 teams, 198 riders, 18 bike sponsors. Which sponsor get it’s money’s worth?
- 01. CANYON (Gilbert, Omega Pharma-Lotto)
- 02. CERVÉLO (Garmin-Cervélo team)
- 03. CERVÉLO (Farrar, Garmin-Cervélo team)
- 04. BMC (Evans, BMC)
- 05. SPECIALIZED (Cavendish, HTC-Highroad)
- 06. PINARELLO (Boasson Hagen, Team Sky)
- 07. SPECIALIZED (Cavendish, HTC-Highroad)
- 08. PINARELLO (Costa, Movistar)
- 09. GIANT (Sánchez, Rabobank)
- 10. CANYON (Greipel, Omega Pharma-Lotto)
- 11. SPECIALIZED (Cavendish, HTC-Highroad)
- 12. ORBEA (Sánchez, Euskaltel-Euskadi)
- 13. CERVÉLO (Hushovd, Garmin-Cervélo team)
- 14. CANYON (Vanendert, Omega Pharma-Lotto)
- 15. SPECIALIZED (Cavendish, HTC-Highroad)
- 16. CERVÉLO (Hushovd, Garmin-Cervélo team)
- 17. PINARELLO (Boasson Hagen, Team Sky)
- 18. TREK (Schleck, Leopard Trek)
- 19. COLNAGO (Rolland, Team Europcar)
- 20. SPECIALIZED (Martin, HTC-Highroad)
- 21. SPECIALIZED (Cavendish, HTC-Highroad)
And the winner is…?
The most succesful bicycle sponsor during this year’s Tour de France is Specialized, with 6 victories.
Specialized (6), Cervélo (4), Canyon, Pinarello (3), BMC, Colnago, Giant, Orbea, Trek (1).
Graphic design in the Tour de France
01) Team logos and jerseys + 02) Bicycle manufacturer logos + 03) Bicycle components manufacturer logos + 04) Saddle and pedal logos + 05) Wheels and tires logos + 06) Helmets and glasses logos + 07) Shoes and clothing logos